Close

Thread: TED Talks

TED Talks

Some of my Favorite TED talks, feel free to post your own.

Rory Sutherland: Perspective is everything
    The circumstances of our lives may matter less than how we see them, says Rory Sutherland. At TEDxAthens, he makes a compelling case for how reframing is the key to happiness.

Keith Barry: Brain magic
    First, Keith Barry shows us how our brains can fool our bodies -- in a trick that works via podcast too. Then he involves the audience in some jaw-dropping (and even a bit dangerous) feats of brain magic.

Gary Kovacs: Tracking the trackers
    As you surf the Web, information is being collected about you. Web tracking is not 100% evil -- personal data can make your browsing more efficient; cookies can help your favorite websites stay in business. But, says Gary Kovacs, it's your right to know what data is being collected about you and how it affects your online life. He unveils a Firefox add-on to do just that.

Juan Enriquez: Will our kids be a different species
    Throughout human evolution, multiple versions of humans co-existed. Could we be mid-upgrade now? At TEDxSummit, Juan Enriquez sweeps across time and space to bring us to the present moment -- and shows how technology is revealing evidence that suggests rapid evolution may be under way.

Four Lefts From Reality Michael's Avatar
    TED talks are great. I enjoyed all of the talks you listed. The Brain Magic talk was quite fun even if I figured out how he did most of (but a couple tricks I am very puzzled) his tricks. The internet tracking talk wasn't all that surprising and perhaps even less scary as I thought was going on.

Juan Enriquez's talk was by far the best. But I think technological evolution will outpace biological evolution--even if we're pushing it--as it's progress is still accelerating and the technologies that will be developed even in our standard lifetime will far outpace everything that humanity has ever created.

Here are some more great talks.

Marc Goodman: A vision of crimes in the future
    A (somewhat) pessimistic take on the future of crimes.

Todd Humphreys: How to fool a GPS
    Big Brother is on his way.
    My mind has been torn into oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the oblivion, and through zen, tear the Universe anew.
    ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓