Close

Thread: Retro Games

Retro Games

Got some old school games you used to play? Maybe you still play them. What are they? Why do you like playing them?

For me personally, I have a lot of old school JRPG's that I used to play and I'm thinking about replaying them just because they were so damn fun.

Currently I've got Lufia and Lufia II in mind. They were really fun games. I think I only beat Lufia II once so I might start with that since it's the prequel anyways.

Four Lefts From Reality Michael's Avatar
    Final Fantasy VI/VII
    Link to the Past
    Sim Earth

... are among my favourites. What really defines a retrol game? Is it an arbitrary point in time? Is it a type of game? Are games currently being released going to be considered retro in twenty or so years?
    My mind has been torn into oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the oblivion, and through zen, tear the Universe anew.
    ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

That's a great question!
    What does define a retro game.
    Personally, I think most people will have a different opinion on it.
    What I CURRENTLY consider retro is pre 2000.
    The reason? Because I said so.
    Also, because many kids today still know of the Playstation 2 (Released in 2000 I believe), but are unfamiliar with games associated with anything before that.
    However, someone like Jesze would consider Playstation 2 games retro because I believe he feels that it was a long time ago. What makes me say this? On our Youtube Channel, Mr. Mosquitoe (Released 2001), a game for the Playstation 2, is catagorized under our Retro series.

So for me personally, a retro game is something before the millennium. Also, when I use the word millenium, it sounds old. So. Yeah.

Heh, you talking about Sim Earth reminds me of playing Sim City for the SNES. Great game. Simple and fun. . .
    Also reminds me of Harvest Moon since I played it around the same time on the Gameboy Colour. . . God I was so addicted. . .

Four Lefts From Reality Michael's Avatar
    All of the old Sim X games were excellent. Sim Tower, Sim City, Sim Ant were all entertaining. Harvest Moon games are pretty cool too--and ended up being an inspiration for learning to program in HS... with my Ruby tree growing program... oh how awful it was.
    My mind has been torn into oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the oblivion, and through zen, tear the Universe anew.
    ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Harvest Moon for the SNES was amazing.
    I was so hooked on it.
    I remember playing Harvest Moon back in Elementary School, Middle School, and High School, as well as sometime after. To this day, I would still play Harvest Moon if I didn't already know the game inside and out.
    I WANT to play the newer Harvest Moons but I feel like I would 1- Get too hooked and 2- They don't seem that appealing to me. Granted, I know these games are designed to hook you in so we go back to point 1.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Ms Pac-Man, Street Fighter II Turbo this is my all time favourite games....

I've been meaning to replay Breath of Fire III for the a few years now.
    I actually started again about a month ago... I played for about 5 minutes...

I really want to replay it but it doesn't help at all that I can still replay maybe 3/4 of the game in my head from start to finish... damnit.

A Nubear

Retro Games

Neat Ill put it on the wishlist and buy it on sale<starts panicking> There are already so many retro games to play . . .